Berlin police pre-approved pro-Hamas rally

On July 5, a pro-Hamas rally, with prior approval from the Berlin police, took place in the city’s streets, with demonstrators protesting against the operation in Jenin.

On late Wednesday, July 5, tens of thousands of mainly German Muslim protesters gathered in Berlin’s central Potsdamer Platz under the slogan “An immediate halt to aggression against Jenin,” reports the JNS.

The rally was pre-approved by the Berlin police – the approval ensued after Israeli forces withdrew from Jenin following a two-day counterterrorism operation, which, according to the Israeli military’s announcement on Tuesday, July 4, claimed the life of 12 Palestinians, all confirmed terrorists. The 48-hour operation deployed 1,000 IDF troops, the largest in the past two decades in Judea and Samaria, and more than 100 terrorism suspects have been arrested by the military.

Ahead of the Wednesday demonstration in Berlin, a police spokesperson said that measures had been taken to prevent illegal incitement. However, despite the restrictions which have come into effect after a Palestinian march held in April, including a ban on the glorification of violence, statements that advocate “the annihilation of the State of Israel and/or its inhabitants,” as well as the display of symbols associated with Hamas, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and Hizb ut-Tahrir, video footage captured one of the pro-Jenin protesters saying, “Glory and salvation to the righteous martyrs,” while calling for the release of all terrorists imprisoned by Israel. “We are not allowed to call Israel child murderers,” another speaker added; “If this is not a child-murdering army, what is it then?”

Moreover, songs played during the protest praised Ahmed Yassin, the founder of Hamas, and implored attendees to die for “Palestine.” Furthermore, participants chanted, “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free,” a slogan that essentially calls for the destruction of the Jewish state. A handful of law enforcement officers seemingly stood by as the events transpired.


Photo credit: Ali Jadallah/Anadolu Agency